Independent MP Navneet Rana and MLA Ravi Rana were arrested on treason charges after they were warned to recite Hanuman Chalisa in front of Prime Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s residence. He was later released on bail by a court on Wednesday. MP Navneet Rana was released from jail on Thursday after 13 days. After her release from jail, Navneet Rana came to Lilavati Hospital for a medical examination. He has been admitted to the hospital after an examination here. Navneet Rana’s lawyer, Deep Mishra, reported on this. Navneet Rana suffered from spondylosis, his lawyers had said. But let’s find out what exactly this spondylosis disease is.
Ankylosing spondylosis (AS) is an aortic aneurysm caused by joint inflammation, primarily affecting the spinal cord and the sacroiliac joint, the area where the spine joins the pelvis. This causes pain in the lower back, hip, and pelvic area. Around 10.65 lakh people are currently diagnosed with the disease in India and according to a recent study by Global Data, the rate is projected to grow at an annual rate of 2.95 per cent. Due to the lack of knowledge about this disease, 69% of patients are misdiagnosed or do not even know their disease. This makes the disease more serious.
(Also read: Analysis: What is ‘White Gold’? Russia attacks Ukraine)
Rheumatologist, MRCP, FRCP, CCT-Rheumatology, Pune. Praveen Patil says: “The delay in diagnosis of ankylosing spondylosis is longer than in musculoskeletal disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis. Delays in diagnosis also delay the start of treatment for the disease by going to the rheumatologist. That is why raising awareness of these issues has become more important. Delay in diagnosis can lead to a variety of additional symptoms and complications.”
Let us know some important facts about spondylosis so that we can better understand this disease and its treatment.
1. Ankylosing spondylosis is an inflammatory disease caused by inflammation. The disease is not caused by the natural wear and tear of the joints, but by a chronic inflammatory condition in the body, that is, inflammation. Also the pain in this disease increases as you stop the movement of your joints and the pain caused by the swelling is felt more intensely in the morning. The disease occurs when your immune system inadvertently attacks the joints in your spinal cord.
(Also read: Analysis: Does Ice Cream Really Refresh the Body? Find Out)
2. Over time, the vertebrae can stick together. In some cases, spondylosis causes symptoms such as swelling, bone loss, or bone loss due to joint damage. However, in the case of others, a layer of calcium builds up in the ligaments of the vertebrae and in the spinal cord, causing the vertebrae to stick together. This creates a ‘bamboo vertebrae’ condition and makes it impossible for patients to move their back. However, early diagnosis and aggressive treatment of AS can also prevent or slow the process.
3. We can get timely and accurate treatment of this condition by carefully following the symptoms at the onset of the disease and consulting a specialist, a rheumatologist. Rheumatologists can suggest treatment options that are more humane for patients. These treatments strike a balance between medications such as biological therapies and lifestyle changes.
4. Spondylosis can occur at a young age. Rheumatoid arthritis is thought to be associated with middle age, but rheumatoid arthritis, caused by inflammation, first appears at a young age. According to the Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center, 80 percent of people who develop AS at a young age have their first symptoms before age 30. As many as 5% of people have symptoms forty-five years or older. Young people in India are at higher risk of contracting the disease due to poor posture, sedentary lifestyle and stress.
5. Spondylosis can have different effects on men and women. Male patients with spondylosis have the most common areas of pain in the spine and pelvis. This is where the disease first appears and where the symptoms are most severe. In contrast, women experience pain in the joints of the shoulders, legs or neck. Blood indicators of inflammatory conditions also vary between men and women with AS. One study found that men with spondylosis had higher levels of inflammatory factors in their blood. This increase is not as noticeable in women with AS.
6. Genes also cause AS. In particular, the HLA-B27 gene is thought to increase the risk of developing AS. However, testing for the HLA-B27 gene does not rule out the possibility of a diagnosis. The Spondylitis Association of America estimates that about 2% of people with HLA-B27 develop the disease, and not all people with AS have the HLA-B27 gene.
Consultant Cardiologist at Global Hospital, Mumbai, Dr. State President Sameer said, “The advent of biologics (anti-TNF and IL-17 inhibitors) has greatly improved the management of AD. Female patients seem less responsive to treatment with these anti-TNF drugs. Regular exercise is important to increase your body’s flexibility and range of motion, improve posture, and reduce stiffness and pain.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login